Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial kick off to summer. Here are a few tips that you can use this summer for your parties by your pool or deck.
1. Set a time of when the fun starts and when it will end. If it is a family party, make sure it ends early enough so families with children can get home and get ready for bed.
2. Plan the menu and let guests know ahead of time in case there are any food allergies.
3. Invite your friends who love a last-minute option and ask them to bring a dish. Be sure to you have a good mix of appetizers, salads, sides and desserts.
4. Look for recipes. Here are some fun options for a Memorial Day Party Foods from Taste of Home. You can find others on Food Network or Pinterest and don’t forget those who prefer vegetarian options.
5. Music sets the mood for any festive affair — Get set up with Pandora or pop in some mix CDs to set the mood for a fun summer party.
6. Use paper products for the party. This will allow you to spend more time with your guests and less time washing dishes.
7. Games. If you are opening the event up to the little people in your life or the lives of those you love, find ways to entertain them. Horeshoes, dodgeball, kickball, hide and seek, freeze tag or Simon Says will keep them entertained for hours or at least until the food is ready.
8. Chilling the drinks. Buy a cheap plastic kiddie pool and some ice! It’s the perfect place to ice down soft drinks, juice, Kool-Aid and adult beverages.
9. Decorate!. If you have to buy patriotic items, remember you can reuse them on the Fourth of July! Pinterest has a ton of cute ideas, if you have time and you are feeling crafty.
10. Plan for pests and heat. Let’s face it folks we live in the south, where the state bird should be the mosquito and the sun will bake you to a crisp. Pack a basket with bug repellants, sunscreens and hand sanitizers.